Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's Breakfast Time

I've forever vowed not to cave in to those big name brand cereal makers. You know what I'm talking about. . .the ones that advertise like crazy to appeal to your little ones and are full of sugar and artificial ingredients. I also knew that once my kids tried one of those cereals, that's all they would want for breakfast. It seems that every kid's motto is "the sweeter, the better". Don't get me wrong, I definitely have a sweet tooth. I have to be honest, we do sometimes indulge in cinnamon rolls. But, I try to come up with other ideas for breakfast. We usually have pancakes, waffles, muffins, and lately my kids have really gotten into oatmeal. I found this great recipe for baked oatmeal and I tweaked it to fit our tastes. We've really taken to it and thought I'd pass it along. Hope you enjoy it!

Baked Oatmeal (serves four)

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 apples chopped in bite-size pieces

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 9 x 11 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with milk poured over it or put in your favorite yogurt.

No comments: