Monday, April 5, 2010

Latest Book

As some of you know, I challenged myself to read a minimum of two books per month for 2010. It's my way of feeding my brain, challenging myself and enjoying one of my favorite hobbies. I'm a true bookworm at heart.

I wanted to share a great book I read during March - "The Great Eight: How to be Happy" by Scott Hamilton. You might recognize the name since Scott is a famous Olympic ice skater with tons of medals and honors.

This was one of the most inspirational books I have read. It amazed me that someone who has had such a tumultuous, difficult journey at times could be so full of joy and gratefulness. He has chosen life and happiness over fear and bitterness. We have all experienced or will experience trials and valleys since life is not perfect, and it can be extremely hard to walk through those seasons of life trying to find the good and positive. My dad was recently diagnosed with cancer and is having surgery this week. I know how hard it is to put these words into practice and write them on your heart. I discovered this book at just the right time, definitely not a coincidence.

If you are looking for a book that could lift your spirit and help you appreciate your gift of life, this is definitely a must read. I realize how easy it is to fall in our own traps - traps of pity parties, jealousy, placing importance on non-important things (speaking from my own life). I've discovered that it's not good for me to dwell on why or how come, but instead how will this change me for the better and how can I give to others?

I never want to push a book or my beliefs on anyone, only share what works for me in hopes it might work for someone else too. Happy reading!

No comments: