Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Kitchen Diaries

I woke up feeling the need to bake this morning. So we baked my most favorite bread. . .Irish Soda Bread. I know it's not St. Patty's Day but who says you can only have it once a year! My mom made this bread when I was growing up, and I looked forward to it everytime (especially warm right out of the oven with a little pat of butter, yum). Try it in the morning with a hot cup of coffee and you'll be hooked! All these years later I have yet to find a better version. My hubby and kids love this bread now just as much as I do. The recipe is down below.

And to give everyone an update on the dishcloths. . .I'm LOVING them!! They are absolutely wonderful. I just toss it in my washer at the end of each night and the cloth gets washed with the next load of laundry. It's really working out great.


Irish Soda Bread

4 cups flour (I mixed whole wheat and unbleached white flours and it turned out great. Otherwise use white flour)

1/2 cup sugar

3 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

3 tbsp butter

raisins (we use the 24 oz. container)

2 1/4 cups buttermilk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut butter into mixture and blend. Scald raisins in a colander under hot water (this softens and moistens them). Add raisins to mixture. Then make a hole in the middle of the batter and pour the buttermilk in. Stir until combined.

Grease a round casserole dish (like Pyrex) and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 60 minutes. This is how long it takes in my gas oven, I've heard it may take a couple of minutes longer in electric.

Happy eating!

No comments: