Monday, January 11, 2010

Reading

I love to read. I would so much rather read a good book than watch tv. And when I find a book I really like, I can't help but pass it on and share it with others.

One of my goals for 2010 is to read two books per month. This may not seem like a lot, but when you run your own business and stay at home with two children, reading seems to fall by the wayside too much. I've decided to make it more of a priority this year for so many reasons. It helps me to relax and rejuvenate. I love getting into the characters' minds (something you can't always do with a movie) and experiencing different places and experiences. And anything that helps improve my life management skills is a definite plus.

So, I've already finished my first book. It's titled, "29 Gifts, How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life" by Cami Walker. This is a non-fiction book and very easy read. I was done after three days!!

The book is about a woman in her early thirties that gets married. One month after their wedding day, she experiences some terrible symptoms and is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. The book goes through her journey of diagnosis, then anger and self-pity to acceptance and growth.

Through it all, she decided to implement a healing process recommended by a friend. She had to give a gift away every day for 29 days. The premise is to get away from a self-centered world and focus your attention on what you have to offer others, how you can brighten others' days, and how rewarding it is to mindfully give a gift to another.

I got a lot of inspiration from this book. I didn't agree with all of her spiritual practices but still learned a lot. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something that makes you think differently, stretches you a little, and reminds you of what's most important in life.

The book costs about $13-19, depending on where you buy it. But I feel that the money is not wasted because it's the type of book that can be passed on repeatedly and read over again.

Happy Reading!

No comments: