Monday, January 25, 2010

And More Reading

So I'm finishing up my second book for the month, "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Jeff Hertzberg. I have to tell you, this is the best bread baking book (say that fast five times!) I've ever seen. The title is true to it's word.

I've always shied away from homebaked bread because of it's tedious and long process. But this book proved me wrong.

The idea is to mix a huge batch of dough on one day (quick & easy) and then you store it in your fridge for up to two weeks. Whenever you want a loaf of bread for dinner, take it out to rise for about 45 minutes and then just pop it in your oven for 30 minutes. What makes the process so easy is that you don't have to proof your dough, knead it, or any of that stuff. It's absolutely wonderful. I was also thinking this would work great for people that work outside the home - just make your dough over the weekend and then have fresh bread ready during the week.

The book suggests having a bread baking stone so your bottom crust will be crisp and crunchy. I just used a Pampered Chef stoneware dish and it turned out fine. You could even use a cookie sheet. I opted to brush some olive oil and salt on our bread as it was baking too. It was super yummy!

I'd include a picture but couldn't get one because that's how fast my family ate it up! But I have enough to make about four more loaves throughout this week. Anyone that truly knows me knows my childhood nickname was "starch queen". My family used to say I could live on potates and bread so I'm lovin' this!

Hope you give it a try too~

No comments: