Wednesday, August 13, 2008

All for the Smoothie!

Sometimes at the end of the day I'll think about what I've eaten, and I can honestly say it wasn't a lot of fruit. I don't know what my problem is. When I was pregnant with both of my children, fruit was a staple in my diet. I could sit and eat half a watermelon and still crave more. I love fruit, and I serve it to my kids throughout the day, but for some reason I personally don't eat enough of it. I always tend to lean towards carbs when I have them in the house. Even growing up, I had the nickname of "starch queen" because I could eat meals of just potatoes and bread. I always wondered who would choose a steak over warm, buttery mashed potatoes. I know, I'm a little strange.

So to solve my fruit dilemna, I started making smoothies. And can I tell you, they are the best ever (my kids think so too). We have a great time coming up with different combinations (it's usually whatever's available in the fridge/freezer), they throw all the stuff in the smoothie maker (or you can use a blender), take turns pushing the button, and then we all sit together and enjoy our drinks.

This was our smoothie recipe today:

1 individual container of blueberry yogurt (the good stuff without the high fructose corn syrup, yuck)
frozen strawberries and blueberries
1 ripe banana
some ice
little bit of water (or you can use any flavor juice)

It turned out great and I felt somewhat healthy for getting my dose of fruit in for the day. You can check out www.smoothieweb.com for lots of recipes. You might get hooked like me.

No comments: