Monday, September 6, 2010

Reading

I've finally carved out some time to read the past couple of weeks - something I truly joy. I have to admit, I've been very slow in jumping on this bandwagon. But after hearing from several people that "Eat, Pray, Love" is a must-read, I snatched it up from my library.

I can't lie - I wasn't blown over by this book and disagreed with several ideas throughout it. However, I found some little nuggets spread throughout that made it very worthwhile. I had some "Ah ha" moments.

Such as her theories on pleasure and differentiating it from entertainment. I also gleamed useful insight from her approach to spirituality. While I didn't see eye-to-eye with some of her methods - I appreciated her simplicity and focus. Definitely something that I needed to hear and apply to my own life.

I realized the importance of recognizing when it's time to surrender and when it's time to take control. That's huge, for me.

I believe we can all relate in one form or another and we've all been through similar experiences in our lives so if I can tuck away some honest advice and words of wisdom for a rainy day, I'm all over that. And that's what this book gave me ~ a pocket full of insight.

I hope it doesn't take me as many years to see the movie as it did to read the book. I guess I'm a little behind the times and I'm alright with that. :)

No comments: