Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trail Bars

I love to bake, and I'm always in search of healthy recipes so this way I don't feel like we are eating cookies and cakes everyday. I found a great bar recipe in one of my old cookbooks that I adapted to what we had in the pantry. They were a big hit at our house. I have to give the warning though ~ these bars are high in fiber and energy. If that's what you're looking for in your diet, you've hit the jackpot.

These bars are slightly crumbly and offer a great mix of salty and sweetness.

Trail Bars

3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups All Bran Complete Wheat Flakes
Handful of raisins
Approximately 3/4 cup of chocolate melted (you can use almond bark, semi-sweet or dark)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir honey and peanut butter until it's of smooth consistency (almost to a boil). Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, raisins and cereal. Press into an ungreased 9x9 pan. Spread melted chocolate over top of bars and refrigerate until firm.

No comments: