Friday, October 17, 2008

Words of Wisdom

While at the dentist this morning for my second root canal visit (which, by the way, didn't go very well), some wall art caught my attention. It was a list of life's instructions, rules and advice we should follow. The list was really long, but there were two sentences that completely resonated with me and stuck in my head.

"Don't confuse comfort with happiness."

and

"Don't confuse wealth with success."

Very simple expressions, but very impactful. I don't know about you, but I'm always measuring my business success by how many bags I sell and how many orders are generated in my Etsy shop. I've realized I need to redefine my interpretation of "success". It should be defined as how far I've come with my handbags and accessories. It's the time, effort, and creativity I've poured into my ideas and building my business. It's the positive and uplifting feedback I've received. It's the relationships I've built with customers and friends.

And I never settle for "as is" or remain comfortable in my position. I'm always trying to improve designs, find more cost-effective methods for doing things, and searching for that oh-so-perfect fabric. But most of all it's being continually grateful that I get to do what I love everyday (and be my own boss at the same time!!).

Hope you have a wonderful Autumn weekend!!

No comments: