Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Thoughts on Fathers Day

Today didn’t start off so great. I was feeling burnt out or in one of my “funks” as you could call it. We were headed off to church this morning, and I’ll be honest, I just didn’t feel like going. If I could have come up with a really good excuse, I probably would have used it. And then I would have been very upset with myself, because what I experienced this morning is exactly what I needed at exactly the right moment.

The service was about honoring Dads (as expected since it was Fathers Day and all). I didn’t think it would be worthwhile or pertinent. Boy, was I wrong! It was a touching, reflective, and inspiring message. I’m not moved to tears very often, and today I was a sobbing mess sitting next to my husband.

I was reminded of so many things today. . .how important our roles are as parents, how quickly children grow up, and how impressionable they are. Most importantly, I also was reminded how great of a job my husband is doing every day at raising our two children and how often I neglect to share this with him. He has such a huge impact in our children’s lives just by how simply he lives his own. When I think of him, I think of love, kindness, and giving. As I’m writing this at home, he is at the park with our two kids on Father’s Day. Need I say more!

So here at the end of the day, I’m feeling very selfish for my funk this morning and my unappreciative spirit. Even though most consider today a “greeting card holiday”, I’m viewing it as a “moment” throughout the year to remember why my husband is such a great Dad and all the wonderful ways he shows his love for me & our children. To be truthful, I shouldn’t have to wait until “Fathers Day” to acknowledge this.

A big “THANKS” to all the Dads out there. We really do appreciate all you do!!!!!!

No comments: