Monday, July 5, 2010

Time To Celebrate!

Hope you had a wonderful and safe Fourth of July! I don't know about you, but we were very much reminded of how blessed we are to have our freedom because of the brave ~ something we take for granted way too much. When it comes down to it, that's what this special holiday is all about. The message just sometimes gets lost amidst all the barbeques, fests, drinking, and socializing.

Our kids asked a lot of questions this year, but Jonas was way more interested in how fireworks are made more than anything else. Hoping next year he'll be pondering the signifigance of the holiday more, but what can you expect from an inquisitive four year-old that's got a mechanic's mind like his Dad's. :)

My sister and I got to spend a great morning together rummaging through a local flea market. I found some great vintage tableclothes that I couldn't pass up. Once I figure out how I'm going to repurpose them, I'll post pictures of my projects.

Then we made our Fourth of July cake. It definitely was a team effort: I made it, Doug baked it, and the kids decorated it. Gotta love it! The finishing touch was the sparkler candles!


We finished our night with a great display of fireworks. They really were beautiful. But what seemed most beautiful to me was all the people, all so very different and all in varying stages of life, brought together in community to celebrate.

No comments: